The Cowaselon Creek Aqueduct is located in the middle of the Old Erie Canal State Historic Park, on the south side of Canal Street, east of the Village of Canastota and west of the Village of Durhamville, in Madison County. The aqueduct was built over Cowaselon (also spelled Cowasselon, Cowassalon, etc.) Creek as part of the Enlarged Erie Canal, and was completed around 1856 with two spans at 51 feet 6 inches in length. Unlike many aqueducts, the towpath was supported by piers rather than arches. The original wooden trunk of the aqueduct has been replaced by concrete.
Below are pictures of the Cowaselon Creek Aqueduct taken in October 2005 and September 2007. Click on an image below to see the full-size version.
|A view of the aqueduct from the towpath, looking southeast..||The aqueduct from the towpath, looking southwest.|
The aqueduct, as seen from Canal Road.
Left: looking southwest ; Center: looking south ; Right: looking southeast.
The replacement concrete trunk can be seen between the piers.
(The apparent curvature of the towpath is the result of the camera angle -- the towpath is actually level.)