The Oneida Creek Aqueduct was built over Oneida Creek as part of the Enlarged Erie Canal. The aqueduct is located just west of the village of Durhamville, on the border of Oneida and Madison Counties (Oneida Creek is the border), and was completed around 1856. Very little of the original aqueduct remains, as can be seen from the pictures below. The original wooden trunk and piers of the aqueduct have been replaced by concrete.
Below are pictures of the Oneida Creek Aqueduct taken in October 2005 and Summer 2007. Click on an image below to see the full-size version.
|The aqueduct as seen from NY Route 46 in Durhamville, looking northwest.||The aqueduct seen from the canal path, looking northwest -- taken by Fred Wehner.||The piers on the towpath side, looking down at Oneida Creek -- taken by Fred Wehner.|
| The concrete in the pictures above is the modern replacement for the
Oneida Creek aqueduct over Oneida Creek. The bridge in the background of the left
picture is Rt. 316 crossing the canal (see the picture to the left). |
Left: Aerial view of Durhamville, Oneida Creek, and the Oneida Creek Aqueduct (from Google Earth, November 5, 2007). Canal water flows under NY Route 46 through 2 culverts (behind the camera in the above pictures, and in the center of this aerial view).