Built in 1847, Enlarged Erie Canal Lock No. 51 is located approximately 2 miles west of the Village of Jordan, Onondaga County, N.Y. on the north side of Route 31. It is a double-chamber lock, with the south chamber double-length on the west (foot) end. The lock had a 5.732 foot descent to the west.
Below are photographs of old Lock No. 51 taken in November 2007. Click on an image below to see the full-size version.
|Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 51, Jordan, N.Y. -- east end, with the north chamber on the right, and the south chamber on the left. The lock locked down to the west, thus the usual three overflow openings are on the east end.||Interpretive sign at Lock No. 51.|
|West end (foot) of the south chamber, looking northwest.||The extended south chamber, looking west from the heelpath.||The west (foot) end of the extended south chamber in the foreground ; the foot end of the north chamber in the center background, looking northeast.|
|The extended south chamber, looking west.||The north chamber, looking west.|
|The west (foot) end and stairs of the extended south chamber.||The door recess at the east (head) end of the north chamber, looking southeast (Rt. 31 in the background).||The north chamber, looking west.|
|The west (foot) end of the north chamber -- Left: looking south ; Middle and right: looking southwest.|
The following photographs were taken in October 2009:
|The south chamber, western end, central divider stairs.||The south chamber, western end, door recess in the south wall.||Detail of the stonework in the north wall of the western (extended) end of the south chamber.|